A national dissemination and development programme for Key Stage 3 MFL was finalised in the summer 2006 and was launched in the nine regions of England in January 2007. The programme builds on progress already made in implementing the Key Stage 3 Framework of Objectives for modern foreign languages and forms part of the National Languages Strategy, which aims to broaden and enrich the opportunities for language learning at school and beyond.
Its aims are to:
increase the quality and consistency in MFL teaching and learning
- increase the quality and consistency in MFL teaching and learning
- strengthen transfer and transition from KS2 to KS3
- secure the basis for the post-14 languages entitlement and so raise standards in MFL.
The programme comprises:
- access for all MFL departments to training and support, using a suite of 14 SNS e-learning modules, known as ‘nuggets’
- specialist and co-coaching to embed, sustain and extend the impact of the programme and develop local leadership
- opportunities to establish local networks to support the exchange and development of MFL practice
More details and documents to download on http://www.cilt.org.uk/ks3/index.htm